This is an excerpt from Tennis-4th Edition.
Backhand Drill 1
Backhand Setups (two players)
This drill is good for getting the feel of the backswing, whether one-handed or two-handed. Stand behind the service line in the middle of the court and have your partner toss 10 consecutive balls, bouncing them waist-high to your backhand (figure 2.7). The objective is to hit a return that lands inside the singles court.
- Start the drill from the baseline.
- Have your partner increase the pace of the setups.
- Have your partner hit, rather than toss, the setups.
- Have your partner reduce the pace of the setups.
- Start with the racket back.
- Practice drop-and-hit backhands, with your partner dropping the ball on your backhand side.
- Focus on control, not power.
- Use a horizontal or low-to-high swing.
Score Your Success
1 point for each successful backhand returned into the singles court
Your score: ___ out of 10
Read more about Tennis: Steps to Success by Jim Brown and Camille Soulier.