StarGuard 5th Edition PDF With Web Resource
StarGuard: Best Practices for Lifeguards, Fifth Edition, assists lifeguard candidates in preventing, recognizing, and responding to water emergencies in pool, waterpark, and waterfront settings.
Combined with hands-on, scenario-based training sessions taught by authorized StarGuard instructors, the updated text and accompanying web resource teach the essentials of lifeguarding: prevention, surveillance, response and rescue, emergency care, and workplace safety and professionalism.
StarGuard: Best Practices for Lifeguards provides specific strategies for decision making. With this authoritative yet accessible guide you will learn the following:
• Strategies for reducing risk at recreational aquatic venues
• Essential skills for response and rescue, including how to perform land-based assists and water-based rescues
• How to recognize indicators of and critical events that can lead to distress and drowning
• Emergency care skills in the event of a drowning, injury, or illness, including suspected spinal injuries
• Techniques for adapting lifesaving skills for special situations, such as single-guard facilities, inflatable play structures, special events, or lifeguarding individuals with disabilities
• Proper techniques for dealing with bodily fluids and fecal contaminations to reduce the risk of recreational water illness
The updated fifth edition contains the latest research on best practices in lifeguarding and emergency care, including the most current CPR/AED first aid content based on international guidelines.
From surveillance to prevention and emergency care, StarGuard: Best Practices for Lifeguards, Fifth Edition, covers all aspects of lifeguarding in an easy-to-understand format. Together, the text, online resource, and hands-on training course prepare lifeguards with the decision-making, emergency response, and first aid skills necessary for preventing water emergencies and saving lives.
Additionally, StarGuard: Best Practices for Lifeguards provides the foundation for the operational policies, procedures, and guidance delivered through the StarGuard Elite complete aquatic safety and risk management system available to aquatic facilities.
Table of Contents
Part I Prevention Strategy
Chapter 1 Foundation of Best Practices
Chapter 2 Reducing Risks at an Aquatic Facility
Chapter 3 Managing Bodily Fluids and Fecal Matter Contamination
Part II Surveillance
Chapter 4 Recognizing Distress and Drowning
Chapter 5 Looking for Distress and Drowning
Part III Response and Rescue
Chapter 6 Deciding to Act and Emergency Response
Chapter 7 Assists and Rescues
Part IV Emergency Care
Chapter 8 Managing Suspected Spinal Injuries
Chapter 9 Basic First Aid
Chapter 10 CPR for Professional Rescuers
Chapter 11 Rescue Breathing and CPR for Unresponsive Drowning Persons
Part V Workplace Environment
Chapter 12 Facilitating Workplace Safety
Chapter 13 Meeting Workplace Expectations
Chapter 14 Considering Site- and Situation-Specific Circumstances
Chapter 15 Lifeguarding at Waterparks and Similar Spaces
Chapter 16 Lifeguarding at Nonsurf Waterfronts