Building Character, Community, and a Growth Mindset in Physical Education eBook With Web Resource
EbookBuilding Character, Community, and a Growth Mindset in Physical Education is a highly practical and theoretically sound resource that will help you build a positive learning environment, teach valuable life skills, and inspire in students a desire to live active, healthy lives. It reinforces the many ways in which physical education and sport are the ideal setting to build college and career readiness skills. Teachers will learn how to help students develop a growth mindset and recognize that obstacles, challenges, and failures provide the greatest learning opportunities. The book is written with both American and Canadian national standards in mind: You can help your students achieve Standards 3, 4, and 5 of SHAPE America’s National Standards and Grade-Level Outcomes for K-12 Physical Education and PHE Canada’s goals for physical education (“enable individuals to make healthy, active choices that are both beneficial to and respectful of their whole self, others, and their environment”). It will also aid you in achieving Standard Six of the objectives set by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS).
This text provides
- 35 new large-group warm-up activities;
- 20 character-building activities;
- 11 team-building challenges;
- assessment, reflection, and goal-setting strategies; and
- a web resource with ready-to-use printable and editable activity materials (such as focus words and definitions, reflection scenarios, station and team challenge cards, and more).
In addition, Building Character, Community, and a Growth Mindset in Physical Education is the perfect antidote to bullying: Through the materials and activities, the students learn to be respectful competitors and supportive teammates.
The text contains six chapters:
- Chapter 1 explores the connection between emotional intelligence and a growth mindset. It reinforces the many ways in which physical education and sport are the ideal settings to build college and career readiness skills.
- Chapter 2 describes the impact community building has on motivation and learning. It also contains fun community-building activities as well as guidance on how to develop a positive learning environment.
- Chapter 3 outlines strategies for building character and offers reflection scenarios, focus words, inspirational sayings, and recommended video clips.
- Chapter 4 supplies more than 20 fun, engaging, and motivational character-building activities and games.
- Chapter 5 provides outdoor collaborative team-building challenges.
- Chapter 6 delves into various aspects of developing a growth mindset through concepts such as assessment, reflection, and goal setting.
Reference for K-12 physical education teachers, recreation leaders, coaches, classroom teachers, and individuals working with children and young adults in group settings. Supplemental text for physical education, pedagogy, class management, educational psychology, and curriculum courses.
Table of ContentsActivity Finder
How to Access the Web Resource
Chapter 1. Developing Emotional Intelligence
Chapter 2. Building Community to Enhance Learning and Motivation
Chapter 3. Strategies for Building Character
Chapter 4. Character-Building Activities
Chapter 5. Team-Building Challenges
Chapter 6. Facilitating a Growth Mindset Through Reflection, Goal Setting, and Assessment
About the Authors
ExcerptsFostering Understanding Among Students
Growth Mindset And Reflection
Preparing Students For College And Career
AncillariesThe web resource features printable and editable activity materials such as focus words and definitions, reflection scenarios, station and team challenge cards, goal-setting and reflection activities, and more.
All ancillary materials for this text are FREE to course adopters and available online at http://www.humankinetics.com/buildingcharactercommunityandagrowthmindsetinphysicaleducation1E.