Hockey Plays and Strategies
BookCarve out a spot on your bench, and in your library, for hockey’s most comprehensive playbook.
Hockey Plays and Strategies presents all of the popular offensive, defensive, and special teams systems used in today’s game, as well as tactical advice on making in-game adjustments and player match-ups at every level of play.
Veteran coaches Ryan Walter and Mike Johnston share more than 160 plays, systems, and strategies to control the ice and light up the net. In this one-of-a-kind guide, you’ll learn these skills:
- Puck movement within the neutral zone to set up for attack zone entry and scoring chances on the rush
- Capitalizing on all odd-man rush scoring chances and shutting down the opposition’s opportunities
- Executing lock-down defensive play in all zones to eliminate good scoring chances and shots on goal
- More than 25 power play systems for both the one-man and two-man advantage to keep the defense off balance and produce more scoring chances
- Penalty kill strategies that will stymie any attack and routinely clear the zone
- Controlling the puck and breaking up the opposition’s play with aggressive forechecking and backchecking strategies
- Controlling the game with top-notch game management tips on line pairings and changes, key momentum changers, and many more in-game adjustments to keep your opponents on their heels throughout the game
Whether you’re an experienced coach or taking the coaching reigns for the first time, Hockey Plays and Strategies will guide smart, consistent, and winning play.
Table of ContentsPart I Offensive Play for Forwards and Defensemen
Chapter 1. Breakouts
Chapter 2. Neutral Zone Counters and Regroups
Chapter 3. Offensive Zone Entries
Chapter 4. Attack Zone
Chapter 5. Power Plays
Part II Defensive Play for Forwards and Defensemen
Chapter 6. Forechecking
Chapter 7. Neutral Zone Forechecking and Backchecking
Chapter 8. Defensive Zone Entries
Chapter 9. Defensive Zone Coverage
Chapter 10. Penalty Kills
Part III Special Game Situations
Chapter 11. Face-Offs
Chapter 12. Bench Management and Line Changes
"In Hockey Plays and Strategies, Ryan Walter and Mike Johnston combine their coaching expertise to offer a comprehensive guidebook for today's fast-paced game. Their proven strategies are ideal for every player and coach."
Head Men's Hockey Coach, University of Denver
“In Hockey Plays and Strategies, Walter and Johnston cover every aspect of successful team play. This complete guide gives you the systems and strategies for an advantage at both ends of the ice.”
Head Coach, Toronto Maple Leafs, 1998-2006
"Ryan Walter and Mike Johnston are a dynamic writing team who draw from years of playing, coaching, and leadership experience. In Hockey Plays and Strategies, they simplify the complexities of the game to assist coaches in building winning game plans."
Director of Development, Hockey Canada
ExcerptsDrills That Will Pay Off During Power Plays
Learn The Fundamentals Of Line Changes
Tips And Plays To Help Create An Active Defense
Articles & LinksRyan Walter Discusses Why The Book Was Written
Ryan Walter discusses why the book was written