Running Injuries: Strategies for Prevention and Intervention Online CE Course
Online CourseCourse components can be delivered as printed products or online:
- Continuing education exam
- Determine the intrinsic and extrinsic risk factors that may predispose a runner to injury.
- Identify the muscles, ligaments, bones, and other supporting structures of the hip, knee, and ankle and foot in relation to the most common running injuries that occur at these joints.
- Describe the kinematic differences between walking and running as well as the sex-specific differences in lower-extremity mechanics during running.
- Explain the running gait cycle and its subphases.
- Identify the most common injuries, conditions, and discomforts associated with running.
- Teach appropriate strength and flexibility exercises to meet the needs of clients at risk for or recovering from certain running injuries.
- Educate clients on suitable running footwear specific to their foot types and provide tips for proper shoe selection.
- Understand the proper use of and the differences between orthotics and inserts for runners.
- Discuss the importance of cross-training and alternative exercises for both healthy and recuperating runners.
- Recognize the risks and understand training considerations for the barefoot, entry-level, marathon, and older running populations.
A continuing education course for personal trainers, athletic trainers, strength and conditioning coaches, and running coaches and enthusiasts.
Table of ContentsChapter 1. Introduction to Running Injuries
Chapter 2. Biomechanics of Running
Chapter 3. Running Injuries: Hip
Chapter 4. Running Injuries: Knee
Chapter 5. Running Injuries: Lower Leg
Chapter 6. Common Running Complaints and Discomforts
Chapter 7. Training Considerations
Chapter 8. Health Screening for the Runner
Chapter 9. Case Studies
About the Author
"This course helped me to recognize symptoms of possible running injuries in my training group and emphasize the gradual buildup of running mileage, intensity, and duration. I also gained more information regarding patellofemoral pain."
J. Madsen—Ras Tanura, Saudi Arabia
"I provide cross-training activities for runners. Through this course I have gained specific knowledge of injuries and prevention of injuries to better assist them."
J. Soukup—Duluth, MN
"I will be able to offer more current information and advice on running issues to my clients."
A. Kaita—Delta, BC, Canada