BookCycling is experiencing a resurgence in popularity. Many people are looking to cycling as the solution to concerns about rising fuel costs, environmental issues, and lack of exercise. Biking to school or work is inexpensive, active, and green, but some children have never learned to ride a bike and many adults haven’t dusted off their bikes in years. These new cyclists need help building their skills before they take to the road. If your school or organization wants to offer bicycle skill and safety classes in your community, Smart Cycling: Promoting Safety, Fun, Fitness, and the Environment is the one resource you will need. In the book, the League of American Bicyclists shares proven instructional strategies that will help you teach cyclists of any age the basics they should know before hopping on a bike.
Smart Cycling: Promoting Safety, Fun, Fitness, and the Environment contains all the information you need to teach new or returning cyclists to take to the road safely and confidently:
- Tips on choosing the bike and gear that best fit their needs, whether they’re commuting to school or work or riding for fun on the weekends
- An overview of basic cycling skills that all cyclists should know, such as braking, turning, and shifting gears, which serves as essential instruction for new riders or as a refresher for those returning to biking
- Coverage of the most common rules of the road as well as information on moving appropriately through traffic, which will help them ride safely and legally
- Basic maintenance and quick repairs that will help them keep their bikes in road-ready shape
- Safety strategies, avoidance maneuvers, and advice on choosing a route that fits their skill level, commuting, and riding in groups
The book also includes the Enjoy Your Ride DVD, which contains four videos that can be shown to participants to help them better visualize the skills being taught. The first video, Essential Bicycling Skills, is an overview of all of the information covered in the book. Bicycle Safety Tips for Adults focuses on the most important safety skills that adult riders should know. Cyclist’s Eye View uses video from a bike-mounted camera to show the proper techniques for operating a bike confidently in traffic. Kid’s Eye View (included in both English and Spanish) covers safety skills appropriate for children or parents who want to teach their children how to ride a bike.
Cycling is an equal-opportunity adventure. From adults commuting to work and kids riding to school to families exploring the trails that cross their cities, cycling offers everyone a chance to stay active and have fun. They just need help getting started. Take the first step toward making your community healthier, happier, and more bicycle friendly with Smart Cycling.
A resource for physical education teachers, recreation professionals, youth leaders, or others interested in teaching safe cycling; an instructor resource for any organization interested in starting a bike education program in their community. Also, a training manual for those wishing to earn the Traffic Skills 101 certification from the League of American Bicyclists. A good introduction to smart cycling for anyone interested in cycling for fun, fitness, or transportation.