Teaching FUNdamental Gymnastics Skills
BookNow you can teach or coach gymnastics—even if you don’t have a gymnastics background—and ensure that every child learns and succeeds.
Teaching FUNdamental Gymnastics Skills is a hands-on guide that provides you with a strong foundation in exploratory gymnastic skills as well as formal gymnastic skills and helps you bridge the gap between the two approaches.
A unique feature of Teaching FUNdamental Gymnastics Skills is the use of specific verbal cues for different learning styles. You’ll get “kinder” cues appropriate for young learners, plus cues that address these learning styles:
The book covers these essential teaching topics:
• Foundational positions and movements that form the building blocks for all gymnastics skills
• How fundamental skills fit together to make complex movements and sequences
• Common errors in gymnastics skills and how to correct them
• Hard-to-find safety information, including injury prevention and tips for spotting
This well-organized book also covers skill progressions and lead-ups for floor, beam, springboard/vault, and bars. Each skill includes practical information you can use for individual or small-group work at stations: a complete description, common errors, spotting information and checklists.
Additional special features include the following:
• A movement chart, in each chapter, outlines the skill progressions
• Sequential illustrations clarify skill sequences and progressions
• A skillfinder chart makes it easy to find skill descriptions based on level of difficulty
Learn how to deliver effective and safe gymnastics instruction in an educational setting, no matter what your experience or comfort level. Teaching FUNdamental Gymnastics Skills is a great way to get started in teaching gymnastics, build students’ confidence, and introduce fun programs.
Current and future grade 6-12 physical education teachers; recreational gymnastics instructors; gymnastics club owners, instructors, and coaches; college and university gymnastics activity instructors; serious gymnasts and their parents.
Table of ContentsChapter 1 Gymnastics Basics: Teaching Safely, Teaching Well
Chapter 2 Exploratory Gymnastics
Chapter 3 Foundational Positions and Movements
Chapter 4 Floor Exercise
Chapter 5 Balance Beam
Chapter 6 Springboard and Vault
Chapter 7 Bars